Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Getting started

My earliest wine memory is Italian. A Sydney Christmas, I would have been thirteen, left with the dishes to do with everyone else in bed. A bottle of Donelli Lambrusco left out on the bench, amid the piles of pudding bowls and pavlova crumbs. A little sip... this stuff tastes alright. A sink of dishes, a bit of wine, more dishes, pour some more wine.

Nothing broken, slept as well as ever on Christmas. Years later, back to Italian wine and still find something quietly satisfying about doing dishes.

1 comment:

  1. Lambrusco was the first Italian wine I had too. But I was probably eight or ten years old at the time. Italian families start their kids young. You know how it goes, poured in the tumbler, right next to Nonna's home-made fettucine.
    Now all I need to do is start singing Dean Martin's 'Memories are made of this'....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWN_duZfIs

    ReplyDelete